We at the practice of Gregg W. McKenzie, DDS want you to know that proper periodontal maintenance is an integral component of battling gum disease. Just like other chronic conditions (such as diabetes or heart disease) require constant monitoring, visiting your periodontist in Columbia, SC is necessary to make sure that this disease stays inactive. While initial treatments will help stabilize and even slow the spread of gum disease, it won’t ever be cured, which is why periodontal maintenance is so vital.
What Your Periodontist in Columbia, SC Can Do for You
You’re probably very familiar with the concept of regular brushing and flossing – the more you brush and floss, the more you’ll prevent tartar from building up on your teeth and the healthier your teeth will be as well. Think of periodontal maintenance in the same way – just for your gums instead of your teeth. By performing standard periodontal maintenance procedures, we’ll be able to improve the health of your gums over time. After you undergo periodontal treatment with us, we recommend routine periodontal cleanings about four times during the year. This will allow your periodontist to examine the depths of your periodontal pockets and also remove any plaque or tartar that’s present along the gum line. A periodontal maintenance appointment will generally include the following:
- Diagnostic X-Rays - We’ll use these to thoroughly inspect your gums and teeth for any areas of concern that can include decay, bone deterioration, cysts, or tumors.
- Tooth Decay Inspections - We’ll thoroughly examine your teeth for any signs of decay.
- Restoration Inspections - We’ll make sure that your fillings, crowns, and bridges are still in great shape.
- Oral Cancer Screenings - We’ll look for any signs of cancer in your mouth, lips, neck, or face.
- Teeth Cleaning - Finally, we’ll polish your teeth to remove any plaque or stains.
Visit Your Periodontist in Columbia, SC!
If you’d like to schedule an appointment with your periodontist in Columbia, SC for periodontal maintenance, please give us a call at (803) 788-0900. If you have any questions, we encourage you to contact us and let us know. We look forward to seeing you!